Being able to understand how something is abstracted away and why can make you a better programmer
- Resolve Component parts and describe their syntatic roles
- Abstract data type that simulates hierarhical tree structure
- Every developer needs to make sure their code is understood by machines
- This is one of the underlying abstractions that allow the code that we write to become readable by computers.
- Pictorial version of the grammatical structure of a sentence.
- Gives concrete idea of the syntax of the particular sentence.
- Used in pedagogy(study of teaching) to teach students how to identify parts of a sentence.
Sentence Diagramming (Sentence breaking into smallest parts) example
- All of our code can be simplified into sets of expressions.
- EX) Calculator program
AST (abstract syntax tree)
- Simplified , condensed parse tree / syntax tree
- contains info. related to analyzing source text
- ignores extra syntatic info. used in parsing text